[Terrapreta] TP,TP list and the Third world

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Apr 27 18:03:34 CDT 2008

Bakary Jatta

This is for you rather than the entire TP reading list. I am a small
scale farmer in the Pacific Northwest of the USA. I just visited
Tobago, an Island off the coast of Venezuela and natural tropical
rainforest habitat. I am quite interested in encouraging use at small
scale producer level. I agree with you that the industrialists and
their equipment manufacture do not have anything to offer charcoal
users at our scale. There work is valuable but so is ours and we
should not beat each other up.

During my visit to the island which was for a family wedding ceremony
we took time to explore back roads and trails looking for evidence of
small scale agriculture. We did find some examples and unfortunately
we were only able to spend a few days and did not have much
opportunity to meet and discuss farming with these people. What we did
notice is that the lush rampant vegetation on the island is a constant
problem. Everywhere we went people were burning vegetation to dispose
of this biomass, yet we saw no evidence of efforts made to make excess
biomass into charcoal. We looked over these burn piles and noticed
very little charcoal was formed.

Here is a picture of a woman burning vegetation, making much smoke and
most likely no charcoal

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/2447354452/

Here is a picture of a very nice, well managed small scale farm. As
the Island of Tobago is very hilly this farm is on a side hill. We
noticed a simple diversion in a stream and plastic pipe leading
towards a gravity sprinkler system on the hill. Notice the rampant
vegetation surrounding this farmers field. Here is a source of
vegetation that can be charred and spread on this field. I do not
believe any of the industrialists on this list have any equipment to
serve this persons need. It would be very easy with a machette to
gather and store to dry several tons to many of biomass per year at
this site and to distribute the biochar in the field shown.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rchaard/2438757067/

In my opinion there is agriculture that is the walking dead ( the
fertilizer and energy intensive kind ) and there is agriculture of the
past and also of the future and what is practiced today by millions of
people.

For myself I am experimenting with charcoal production that will yield
1 ton or more per year of charcoal from agricultural waste I have
accumulated and stored. This will give me an assured supply for my
studies and also for a small scale farmer as the field shown above
this quantity would have a beneficial effect on his crops, reduce his
need for fertilizer and improve soil water holding capacity.

I need a technique that is a step larger scale than the oil drum
method for this need. Our first test last year we obtained a good
yield of charcoal with a buried pile technique which is what I am
attempting to improve at this time.

Rich Haard