[Terrapreta] Strong warning against "simple" charcoal kilns

Brian Hans bhans at earthmimic.com
Sun Apr 27 18:56:28 CDT 2008

Let me try to explain why its bad using simple terms...

  If a system is only 20% efficient, what about the other 80%? What is it and where does it go?

  - If its CO2, then you are correct that its CO2 neutral because plants eat CO2 and that ATM CO2 is the only source of C for the system.

  - If it is CH4 or other hydrocarbons, then the 'bad' impact of that other 80% can far outweigh the claimed 'good' impact of the 20%'s carbon sequesteration/plant growth.

  Its an overall balance thing, or a Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) of the whole system or I think the new catch term is 'cradle to cradle'.

  Ya?

  Brian

MFH <mfh01 at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
  I'm struggling to understand why "millions" of back-yard simple kilns
producing char to be buried in gardens aren't better than not having any at
all. More particularly if they are consuming household scraps and garbage
that would otherwise find its way to landfill.

Sit on our hands and wait for big business to develop squillion dollar char
factories, or do something positive at a personal level?

Max H