[Terrapreta] Strong warning against "simple" charcoal kilns

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Apr 27 19:28:26 CDT 2008

Great post Geoff!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: geoff moxham<mailto:teraniageoff at gmail.com>
  To: terrapreta at bioenergylists.org<mailto:terrapreta at bioenergylists.org>
  Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 6:44 PM
  Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] Strong warning against "simple" charcoal kilns

  Dear list members,
  I agree we need to take care with advice on Pyrolysis.

  For a large scale take-up of TP by a world with very rapidly
  diminishing oil for transporting feedstock to a central
  pyrolysis/grid-interactive biochar plant (like BEST's "small"
  $A2,000,000 plant), a great majority of pyrolysis will have to be done
  in situ.
  Therefore...
  What we need to stress here is not only the most efficient pyrolysis
  units, but appropriate technology best practice units AS WELL as the
  admirable very-high-technology end of the research that Edward's
  units, and BEST's and others stardards exemplify.

  In addition we need to stress the DRYING PHASE and the requisite
  drying to equilibrium moisture content. Extant "simple technologies"
  already exists to dry feedstock to lower tha EMC using
  convection-forced solar tunnels on N-facing (S-hemisphere) slopes.
  This pre-drying phase is 'free' if no or little transport is used and
  the pyrolysis unit is small and feeds a localised grid. It is critical
  to low GHG emissions. How is your feedstock dried Edward?

  So, I think we need to take care in our labels. Pit and open drum
  charring could be more accurately labelled Archaic Charring, and given
  carefully calculated GHG emission ratings, accounting for the whole C
  cycle, based on trials.

  However, a 200 litre steel reactor, with Imbert hearth and 6 secondary
  nozzles will burn wood feedstock + refluxed off-gasses, cleaner than
  current gasoline technolgy. There are many people, some on this list
  who can make one in a day in a good farm workshop. I'm going to look
  at one next month, and give advice on retort vent sizes and gas flow
  rates, and ways to generate clean process heat for crop drying.
   They really are quite simple, and approach best practice
  pyrolysis...surely what we are talking about? And the whole process
  need not be made inaccessible, mysterious or out of reach, as so much
  of science and technology is. How absurd ... in fact impossible to
  remove charcoal from everyday human life.

  To this end in my demonstrations of charring I include common objects
  like a mouse trap, a clothes peg, a pine cone or cotton webbing and
  rope, all of which retain heir shape and nature as charcoal. This
  allows conversation in a common language that has already inspired
  many people to pyrolise safely in their existing wood space heaters,
  and they have learned to run these heaters efficiently.
   Children have been impressed by what we call here paddle pop sticks,
  ice-cream wooden sticks whick shink and curl nicely. I have a stinky
  "Torrified Peg" to show what not do..."sniff this".... and a full 10
  minute spiel on woodsmoke CH4, CO2 and exactly what we are talking
  about.
  I am in the process of making a miniature ( 200g fueload) pyrolisis
  unit with flare-off burner, using micro computer fans for secondary
  air assist. These can be driven by peltier modules and the fan assist
  only stops after the feedstock stops and the hearth is cooled...all on
  the desktop. Accessible, and understandable instantly to a generally
  dumbed-down public.
  Kindest regards to everyone for your continued inspiration
  geoff moxham
  BSC Industrial Arts (Technology0 UNSW 1977