[Terrapreta] Strong warning against "simple" charcoal kilns

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Mon Apr 28 00:13:07 CDT 2008

Hi Kurt,

You are wrong.  You assume that ALL of the pyrolysis gases are burned.  You do not know this and you cannot state it as an observation made by anyone else, either.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is 10 times as much CO and 10 times as much H2 in "producer gas", than there is Methane-CH4.  Correct me, also, if the heat of formation of CH4 is not higher than for that of either H2 or CO.  Ergo, CO and H2 will burn first is and use up the oxygen first, is my assessment.  They will use up the oxygen available at the bottom of the outer barrel, and the Methane-CH4 will eject, unburned from the top of that "charcoal-in-a-barrel" retort.