[Terrapreta] Strong warning against "simple" charcoal kilns

Kurt Treutlein rukurt at westnet.com.au
Mon Apr 28 06:34:09 CDT 2008

Sean K. Barry wrote:
>  Hi Kurt,
>
>  I  "Open-air" reduction of H2 and CO in the "producer gas" will use
>  as much as 5 times the amount of oxygen as the CH4 will BEFORE the
>  CH4 will reduce.

It seems you still need to be taught basic chemistry. It is not
"reduction" of H2 and CO and CH4 that uses O2. The process is called
oxidation. In other words combustion. Which is exothermic by the way.

Reduction uses hot carbon and would involve a re-action between Carbon
and H20 and CO2, resulting in the formation of H2 and CO.
And this process is endothermic, ie it absorbs heat.

But then you're probably getting tired and befuddled with all the
formulae that you're typing up.

Have a good sleep now and perhaps tomorrow you'll wake up all refreshed
and clear of thought.

regards,

Kurt