[Terrapreta] BAMBOO CHARCOAL MAKING

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Apr 28 09:58:16 CDT 2008

Ben

This buried kiln is the method I am going to try this summer. My plan
is to make an elongated pit with plow furrow or tractor bucket and a
pyrolysis chamber of indeterminate length. I have all kinds of scrap
sheet metal roofing in various stages of decomposition to line the
pit.  As also does most everyone else. I think cord wood jammed in
place would support the burn chamber with farm debris in between

top lit, bottom draft seems to be a logical choice.

As soon as my spring planting is finished I am going to try this idea.

Our local pallet salvage company sells cut up pallets for fuel and is
tropical woods, oak. Makes nice charcoal in my home heating stove.
Good for testing the idea.

Rich