[Terrapreta] Strong warning against "simple" charcoal kilns

Kurt Treutlein rukurt at westnet.com.au
Mon Apr 28 17:31:43 CDT 2008

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hi Kurt,
>
> There is no "producer gas"?  What escapes between inner drum rim and
> the outer drum bottom and is supposedly entirely burned?
>
> Regards,
>
> SKB
Sean,

As others have already told you, what comes out of there is a complex
mixture of gases (such as a little CH4 and others), vapourised light
fractions such as methanol, heavier fractions such as various tars.
These burn in the air that is drawn in through the holes at the bottom
of the outer barrel. If they don't burn completely there will be smoke.
No smoke indicates a complete burn.

Let me give you some advice. Go to the sister mailing list
"Gasification" read through the archives and learn something about the
gasification of wood. You'll stop making a fool of yourself with half
digested bits of information. I have no doubt that you are very
knowledgeable in the IT field and could easily make a fool of me in that
field. In this field, which involves the gasification of wood, of which
pyrolysis for the production of charcoal is only a very small niche I am
way ahead of you, though only a small child in comparison to others.
More knowledge of the field might even help you do a better job of
designing and building that all singing and dancing pyrolyser that you
are working on.

regards,

Kurt