[Terrapreta] biochar costs

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Mon Apr 28 23:23:49 CDT 2008

Richard,

Dynamotive has their Canadian head office in Vancouver.

Here's some info from a presentation Dynamotive made in May, 2007 at
an Agrichar conference.  Note that in this presentation, one study
suggested that char's actual value was $20-25/ton!
For the whole presentation, go to the link attached below.

The by-product of Bio-Oil, char, can be sold as charcoal briquettes
or refined to make activated carbon. In a
feasibility study by Huskywood, the selling price is suggested to be
$20-$25 per ton (Brady).
T. Brady, “Fast Pyrolysis: Wood to Gas, Bio-oil and Fuel-Grade Char:
Preliminary Economic Analysis for Southeast Alaska”,
Jan. 2002.
If the calorific value of char is ~25GJ/T, it implies that its energy
value is only ~ $1/GJ.
If the char could be sold for energy at a price similar to BCO,
namely $8/GJ, then it would be worth ~$200/T
The value of char as an energy product is low because the mineral
matter (ash) content only allows combustion in low
grade industrial applications, e.g. kilns
The higher value of $200/T could be approached by de-ashingsince it
would enable the char to burned in a gas
turbine
Increasing the fuel value of char

http://www.biochar-international.org/images/
Agrichar_May2,_2007_Presentation-Radlein.pdf

Gerrit