[Terrapreta] Strong warning against "simple" charcoal kilns

Kurt Treutlein rukurt at westnet.com.au
Tue Apr 29 20:25:04 CDT 2008

Kevin Chisholm wrote:
>  <<snipped>> What we need now is "market development", not "be all and
>  end all solutions" that constrain or mis-direct development effort.

You're right. What we need is a way for the average gardener to try it
out. The problem is that there is very little suitable charcoal
available commercially. The all singing and dancing charcoal making
devices that people are working on are still largely some time away from
commercial availability. Consequently, DIY charcoal production is a
necessity. Of course, local regulations will stymie a lot of DIY, but
there will still be many people who can experiment at will. Once the
average gardener sees the benefits of charcoal in soil, then the word
will begin to move out into the community and be of interest to farmers,
who will go looking for good supplies of charcoal and this will help to
develop a market, thuis hopefully developing "supply" to fill the "demand".

Volke's device is very good. It is simple and will do the job of
producing a few kilos a day from prunings and the like without much
effort. In this regard it is better than the rubbish bin based TLUD
device I was working on last year, because that one required metal work
and experimentation to get a good flare off of the offgases. I will use
both Volke's design and my own when I, shortly, get back to
experimentation.

I have very good basalt based soil here, so it will be interesting to
see what improvements, if any result from t he addition of charcoal to it.

regards,

Kurt