[Terrapreta] Clarification about "simple" charcoal devices

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 30 09:21:04 CDT 2008

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the primary use of the plant, is to produce char you are using a kiln or retort, OTOH, if you are trying to produce syngas, then what you want is a gasifier.

While a kiln / retort will produce syngas it does so inefficiently ( and at greater expense to the amount of fuel used ) and much the same can be said of a gasifier producing char - it does so at the expense of producing more syngas.

At what point do you draw the line?

Greg H.