[Terrapreta] Rice husk + fungi trial

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Feb 5 01:15:05 CST 2008

Hi Robert,

"I think what we can prove here is that the fungi are making nutrients that where plant unavailable now plant available."  This data in these photos is very suggestive of that hypothesis, Robert.  Many people who study VAM fungi would agree.  The way to lend the greatest support to this, though, is to validate the very low incidence of any failure of any "subsoil + biochar + fungi" mixture to ever not show improvement in the growth of plants planted in it.  But, still look closely at of for any failure or failure modes.  The more experiments you can conduct which use this combination and they all show improvements, then this will lend better support, but only to some degree.  Watch closely for the failure possibilities and modes.  Even where they are small failures.  A failure may provide the fodder for more experiments to ascertain why? Then a better understanding of the reasons for all the successes may come of that.

Keep close watch on the guys at BIOTROP to make sure they are not just affirming the consequence and not letting you test the inferences of what they are attempting to show.  When we look at these pictures and you show us and point out the "best of the best", then there may be more to learn from the "worst of the best attempts", if you know what I mean?