[Terrapreta] Charcoal in soil

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Thu Feb 7 22:02:07 CST 2008

Nikolaus

The images you have posted are very interesting to me. I went further
to look at this part of the world on google earth to appreciate the
scope to the deforestation that is currently occurring in your corner
of Bolivia and adjacent areas of Brazil. Chaining this forest down
with bulldozers ( what kind of machines do they use?) seems to be a
dramatic environmental  and a social change for the indigenous human
population.

Yet the technique is the slash and burn method for agriculture, a way
of farming that is not sustainable in the moist tropical climate and
soils without supplementation with fertilizer, and eventually letting
the ground after a period of time revert to forest cover for renewal
by native vegetation. Am I correct in this assumption? What will
happen with those 15 year fields - will they stay in production with
no further treatment or rotation?

You have shown us that this burn pile effect seems to fade after a
number of years and that your trials with charcoal the effect in the
fields also seems to be transient as with the burn pile remnants. Your
hypothesis is that the charcoal brings potassium into the soil which
is eventually depleted. Yet we read in the writings of Dr Lehmann that
replacement of slash and burn with slash and char will return 50 % of
this forest ecosystem standing crop of carbon to the soil as charcoal.
He is proposing that slash and char be accepted as a general practice
in agriculture for the region. And that this technique will result in
terra preta nova which if fully implemented will counterbalance 12 %
of all CO2 emissions.  It would seem that implementing slash and char
at the scale I witnessed today on google earth in Bolivia would
require additional work and expense but that the potential for
benefits would return this investment.

What is happening with the introduction of large scale commercial
agriculture into this region is really changing the ecosystem in a
dramatic way. I am interested to learn from your on the ground view if
you believe slash an char can be implemented in this production
system. Are there agencies, individuals or groups in Bolivia or Brazil
who are advocating slash and char? How do you see this trend direction
of agricultural development in your area? We now have corn futures
over US $5.50/bu and wheat is now approaching $15. Soybeans at similar
levels also and all to supply demand for biofuels and our grain belt
farmlands are at maximum production capacity mode indicating this
intensive utilization will only increase demand for grain everywhere.

Yours is a unique place to study this use of charcoal. I value your
observations and reports of your efforts.

Thanks

Rich H