[Terrapreta] 80 degrees Fahrenheit

William Carr Jkirk3279 at qtm.net
Fri Feb 8 01:44:57 CST 2008

On Jan 26, 2008, at 7:08 PM, Gerald Van Koeverden wrote:

> I wonder if this is key to understanding why the effect of charcoal
> amendments might turn out to be so much more dramatic in tropical
> than in temperate zones?

That's been suggested.   Like the sand in my garden, poor soils in a
tropical environment might gulp down digestible organic matter and
blow it off as CO2.

Bio-char, however, is indigestible and provides a substitute for the
missing OM.

It may store nutrients by absorbing and "adsorbing" them, improving
the soil fertility.