[Terrapreta] [Gasification] new studies on GHG footprint ofbiofuels darkens the picture

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 9 17:42:17 CST 2008

Based on what production method(s)?

One of the biggest problems when trying to prove that ethanol is a energy looser, is the fact that alot of the numbers out there are based on 40 yr old technology and production methods formulated to guarantee that it will be a loosing proposition.

Pimentel, one of ethanol's biggest opponents, is basing allot of his 'data' on information that was collected in the late 60's and early 70's and has been passing it off as if it was collected within the last few years.    What's worse, there are plenty of people that have been using his numbers in studies done in the last few yrs, without the slightest clue just how out dated they are, or bothering to find out where those numbers are coming from.

As we have seen in other places, co-production significantly raises efficiency, and lowers production cost.    It's flat out stupid to burn natural gas just to make heat to distil ethanol, but if that heat is re-used to heat homes, barns or businesses the cost of production goes down by the same amount that it would cost to heat those things in the first place.

I know of one person that generates his own electricity and then uses the heat from the engine that turns the generator, to heat his barn and house - add in the fact that he is burning waste vegetable oil in the process, and it's a win - win - win situation.    The waste vegetable oil doesn't end up in a landfill, and he get's heat and light from it.

Here is another situation that uses waste from one process to provide the source material for several others:

http://media.exn.ca/exnmedia/exn20021001_1033517073.wmv?MSWMExt=.asf

Greg H.