[Terrapreta] [Gasification] new studies on GHG footprint ofbiofuels darkens the picture

MMBTUPR at aol.com MMBTUPR at aol.com
Sat Feb 9 19:16:06 CST 2008

          from         Lewis L Smith

It was recently pointed out by an alert participant in this DG that ethanol
for fuel is typically the JOINT product of an operation which also produces
important amounts of high-protein, low sugar animal feed.   This observation
raises an important issue with regard to determining the optimum size of a typical
project and therefore with regard to determining the "cost" of producing
ethanol, since manufacturing operations tend to exhibit economies of scale. In
other words, unit costs tend to decline as the volume of output increases.

In the traditional manufacturing operation, either the plant produces one
product or produces several products on separate lines [ as in a soup factory ]
under circumstances where most of the costs which are common to more than one
product are also fixed costs.   That is, these "joint costs" do not vary with
volume over a very wide range of output.

Under these circumstances, the optimal volume for a particular line or
particular operation is the point at which the incremental cost of production of one
additional unit equals the market price of that same unit. Given the fact we
now have an optimum volume for each product, we can allocate the fixed costs
across products, and safely talk about the "cost" of each product in economic
terms.

[ For convenience, we assume that the producer has no influence over the
price of his or her products. That is, "the market" sets the price of each, and
the producer is a
"price taker". ]

However, there is another situation which has the following characteristics.
Joint costs are important and a substantial amount of them are VARIABLE.
Examples of this situation include ethanol-from-corn plants, most petrochemical
plants, all oil refineries, all slaughter houses and many plants producing
biological products and/or pharmaceuticals.

In such cases, following the above optimization rule is a sure road to
bankruptcy, as any refinery or slaughterhouse employee with only a high-school
education will be glad to tell you. In brief, DO NOT sell gasoline at its
incremental cost per gallon or hamburger at its incremental cost per pound. PERIOD !

In such situations, one should follow the following optimization rule. The
per unit incremental contribution of all products [ taken together ] to all
joint costs — after deducting all product-specific costs from all product revenues
— should equal the per unit sum of all of the incremental joint variable
costs incurred in producing them.

For dealing with bankers, stockholders and taxing authorities, this situation
obviously calls for even more cost allocations than our first situation and
indeed, accountants are very clever in coming up with convincing ones.

However, it should be noted that in the current situation, any allocations of
joint costs are essentially arbitrary. Moreover, if the parameters which
characterize operations are unstable,   any change in the price, volume and/or
product-specific costs of any one product has the potential to   "upset the whole
allocation apple cart". And if it does so, a single "cost" of ethanol in
economic terms may not exist in a meaningful sense.

The above also applies when we seek to determine the cost of ethanol in BTU's
rather than in $$$.

Given the above, the best way to compare ethanol and gasoline may be to
evaluate the costs and benefits of various configurations of the entire US economy,
incorporating different patters of ethanol, production, grain production and
refinery operations, in terms of both BTU's and $$$.

In any case, I suspect that not many people touting a "cost" for ethanol have
taken the above into account !   If my conjecture is correct, then all
statements about the "cost" of ethanol should be taken "with a big grain of salt".

If you understand differential calculus, I have a paper which explores this
subject in some detail, which I can send to interested parties by snail mail.

Cordially.    ###

48)