[Terrapreta] Charcoal and Salicylic acid

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Sat Feb 9 21:57:29 CST 2008

Here is an excerpt from an application by Stoller Enterprises to the
EPA for use of salicylic acid in a product to enhance a plant's
defense mechanism against pathogens.  Apparently, plants produce it
naturally in response to attacks.

Gerrit

"2. Stoller Enterprises, Inc.

PP 8F4960

     EPA has received a pesticide petition (PP 8F4960) from Stoller
Enterprises, Inc., 8580 Katy Freeway, Suite 200, Houston, Texas 70024,
proposing pursuant to section 408(d) of the Federal Food, Drug, and
Cosmetic Act, 21 U.S.C. 346a(d), to amend 40 CFR part 180 to establish
an exemption from the requirement of a tolerance for the biochemical
pesticide, salicylic acid, in or on all raw agricultural commodities.
     Pursuant to section 408(d)(2)(A)(i) of the FFDCA, as amended,
Stoller Enterprises, Inc. has submitted the following summary of
information, data and arguments in support of their pesticide petition.
This summary was prepared by Stoller Enterprises, Inc. and EPA has not
fully evaluated the merits of the petition. The summary may have been
edited by EPA if the terminology used was unclear, the summary
contained extraneous material, or the summary was not clear that it
reflected the conclusion of the petitioner and not necessarily EPA.

A. Product Name and Proposed Use Practices

     Salicylic acid will be incorporated into the end-use product,
Adjust I, as an active ingredient. Adjust I is proposed

[[Page 50906]]

for use on a variety of agricultural, horticultural, and floricultural
applications to enhance plant defense against pathogens.
     Depending on the crop, the first application of Adjust I is made at
the 3-5 leaf stage or other prescribed growth stage. Subsequent
applications may be made at 12-day intervals. The rate is 2 quarts of
formulated product/acre per treatment. This equates to the application
of 20 grams/acre salicylic acid."

http://www.epa.gov/fedrgstr/EPA-PEST/1998/September/Day-23/p25315.htm

On 9-Feb-08, at 7:56 PM, Nikolaus Foidl wrote:

> [...]
>> Internet.  According to these researchers, aspirin induces the
>> plant to override stress-induced inhibition of growth. Thus it
>> seems to be like cocaine allowing the Inca runners to keep on
>> going without feeling tired on their long communication hauls...
>>
>> Gerald
>>
>> SALICYLIC ACID PREVENTS THE DAMAGING ACTION
>> OF STRESS FACTORS ON WHEAT PLANTS
>> A. R. Sakhabutdinova, D. R. Fatkhutdinova, M. V. Bezrukova, F. M.
>> Shakirova*
>> Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics, Ufa Scientific Centre
>> Russian Academy of
>> Sciences, 69 pr. Octyabrya, 450054, Ufa, Russia
>> Summary. We investigated the effect of salicylic acid (SA) on
>> plant resist-
>> ance to environmental stress factors. Treatment of wheat plants
>> with 0.05mM
>> SA increased the level of cell division within the apical meristem
>> of seedling
>> roots which caused an increase in plant growth. Phytohormones are
>> known
>> to play a key role in plant growth regulation. It was found that
>> the SA treat-
>> ment caused accumulation of both ABA and IAA in wheat seedlings. How-
>> ever, the SA treatment did not influence cytokinin content. We
>> suppose, that
>> the protective and growth promoting effects of SA are due to the
>> phenomenon
>> described above. The SA treatment reduced the damaging action of
>> salinity
>> and water deficit on seedling growth and accelerated a restoration
>> of growth
>> processes.Treatment with SA essentially diminished the alteration
>> of phyto-
>> hormones levels in wheat seedlings under salinity and water
>> deficit. The SA
>> treatment prevented the decrease in IAA and cytokinin content
>> completely
>> which reduced stress-induced inhibition of plant growth. Also,
>> high ABA
>> levels were maintained in SA treated wheat seedlings which
>> provided the
>> development of antistress reactions, for example, maintenance of
>> proline ac-
>> cumulation. Thus protective SA action includes the development of
>> antistress
>> programs and acceleration of normalization of growth processes
>> after removal
>> stress factors.
>>
>> http://www.bio21.bas.bg/ipp/gapbfiles/essa-03/03_essa_314-319.pdf
>>
>> On 9-Feb-08, at 1:10 AM, Michael Bailes wrote:
>>
>>> Facinating  Nikolaus
>>> So far I have learned from this site to give my plants a 'spoon
>>> full of sugar' an an asprin occasionally
>>>
>>> It would be nice to know what it is doing to the roots and micro /
>>> fauna flora of the soil
>>>
>>> So is that about 0. 007% solution?
>>> Can you convert that to aspirin tablets and a 5L watering can for

>>> terrapreta_bioenergylists.org
>>> http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org