[Terrapreta] Terrapreta Digest, Vol 13, Issue 16

Nikolaus Foidl nfoidl at desa.com.bo
Mon Feb 11 13:08:18 CST 2008

Dear William!

You have to read the messages carefully to get to correct understanding of
the content. The used formalin is transformed together with solubilized Urea
into a polymer which has nothing to do anymore with the original formalin.
It would be the same if you brake up HCN which is deadly in its gaseous form
into its components and where ever you find now H,C,N in the air you cry out
loud that you will pass because those are the ingredients of Hun's please
recognize that adding a Nitrogen -formalin polymer is not the same as adding
Formaldehyde pure to the soil.
 Second: your comment from 10 to 2000 kg is not correct. Yes they added
Fertilizer specially Nitrogen to the charcoal to get to the 1500 to 2000 kg.
Again read carefully the messages. If I missed to mention that they added
Fertilizer, my apology.
You are right that forest soils are fungi dominated and agro soil is
bacteria dominated. There is no good or worse no plus no minus its different
that's all. We most of the time use terms we have no prove of like "soil
balance", there is no good or bad in nature or the processes ( biological or
mineral or mechanical etc) as well there is no good balance which then is
off balance. What you have in a normal soil, no matter if " undisturbed,
2000 year old forest soil, recent agricultural soil, whatever" is, that you
have a continuous change of everything making up this soil. The mineral
content is shifting the ph is shifting, the cationic and anionic interchange
capacity is shifting etc. Measure the same spot every day during a year and
you see that there is no normal balance which is off or on there is only
change, forward and backward in dependence of the season , weather,
rainfall, temperature and what you add or not. Depending on the soil
chemistry you have different plant species thriving and others dying.

To your thought experiment: We have a yearly production of Beouveria of
around 35 tons, Trichoderma spores about 700 kg ,Metharizium spores about
800 kg and we are as well producing several types of Bacteria like
BT,Bacillus subtilis and Pseudomonas, next year as well Azospirillum.
100 tons of mychorrhizae infested soil is added every year to our soil.
Where possible we add these livings to our charcoal to enrich and correct
what ever goes in a directions which could harm our production.
So your thought experiment is already praxis.

Best regards Nikolaus