[Terrapreta] torrified wood vs. charcoal

Robert Flanagan saffechina at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 02:21:11 CST 2008

The catch...
The wood is transformed into a more refined fuel, similar to the energy
nature of coal but without any pollution side effect because all *pollutants
have been removed.*
**

Hi Gerald,

So to answer your question, or ask the question "What happens to the
pollutants while it's been turned from wood to torrified wood?" Again I say
why waste all the energy taking biomass to just under it's exothermic curve
just so you can burn it for heat?

A little back ground on pyrolysis "V" gasification,

In pyrolysis your feedstock is typically high in moisture (50%, called green
waste) and little or no oxygen is added during the process (depending on the
process time and desired charcoal) so typically you have a very wet off gas.
There is a direct relationship between temperature, duration, carbon content
and charcoal yield. With slow low temperature pyrolysis (400C) it's possible
to have charcoal yields of around 33% but not much higher with a low carbon
content. When you reach higher temperatures, your charcoal yield can drop to
10-15% (the typical yield for traditional charcoal kilns used in Brazil is
about 15%). The highest possible charcoal conversion obtainable today is via
flash carbonization (http://www.hnei.hawaii.edu/flash_carb_biomass.pdf).

Gasification on the other hand uses biomass with much lower moisture content
(Optimum 20%). The biggest difference between the two is the natural
exothermic jump in the flaming pyrolysis zone. These figures change a bit
for different biomass streams but to avoid confusion, I will keep it simple
and not get too bogged down with the finer details. When you heat up biomass
to around 280C it goes into an exothermic reaction (begins to give off heat)
and the temperature jumps to around 400C. Now this energy jump causes the
next layer of biomass to heat up and also go into the exothermic zone and so
on and so on, until you're left with a pile of char. Now with gasification,
the lowest possible jump is from around 280C to 600C (Depending on air
flow), due to primary air (Fresh oxygen) flowing through the reactor the
whole time (enough to strip the gases off, but not enough to reduce the
carbon to ash). So with gasification stoves we exploit this law and use the
excess energy to crack the gases and water as they pass through this hot
carbon zone. This then provides fuel that we can burn directly whilst also
producing charcoal (wood gas (CH4) + water + high temperature carbon, reacts
as follows H20+C=H2+CO; end gas= (CH4+H2+CO))

 Where gasification is concerned, a 20% charcoal yield is considered high
but you have to remember the higher the temperature of the charcoal the
higher the carbon content, so although you might have less charcoal, your
overall fixed carbon yield might be very close.
Better to get all the energy from the biomass plus the energy from the
hydrogen in the water using a Top Lit Up Draft (TLUD) stove!

Kind regards,
Rob.