[Terrapreta] viable idea?

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Wed Feb 20 21:05:19 CST 2008

We can save the world, but figuring it out is the challenge. It will take
more than char and manure to feed 6 billion people but research and
experimentation to improve soil productivity using these tools can help. I
think that is Lehmann's message in the article. I don't think that challenge
just belongs to research organizations.  Charcoal is made all over the
world. If the agronomic value of combinations of charcoal and nutrient
sources is demonstrated then individuals can make choices about using some
char to produce more food.  At the very least we can help offset soil carbon
loss in all countries.

Maybe the recipes are more complex. As Richard points out  it is probably
more complicated than simply adding charcoal. It is similar to the plaggen
(peat based) anthrosols that were constructed over a long period as the soil
micromorphological studies have shown with some fairly involved steps of
preparation, burning and blending manures, bones, etc. These soils ceased to
be constructed when fertilizer was introduced.

Tom