[Terrapreta] IEA study abt charcoal in Croatia

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Feb 24 18:06:47 CST 2008

Thank you for posting this power point presentation to this IEA bio-
energy conference. It is interesting there is no mention of charcoal
in agriculture or sequestration.

For example in frame 2  we are shown art, cosmetics, metallurgy, and
old fashioned iron (energy?), cooking and a truck load of bulk
charcoal. No farming or sequestration in soil.

The thesis of this presentation is that its highest value is the best
endpoint use of  charcoal. Without heavy subsidy then the use of
charcoal in agriculture in this economic model presented will be the
last in line.

This is the reason behind what I have been advocating lately that agri-
char and its production should be treated as  a different topic and on
farm, in field methods need to be refined where costs related to
product quality needs for higher uses are not considered. Is
agricultural grade charcoal the same product as cooking or cosmetic
charcoal?

There seems to be a conceptual vacuum here that invites creativity.

Rich