[Terrapreta] two recent articles on TP

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Fri Feb 29 20:52:38 CST 2008

Seriously most of the methane is belched not passed out the GI tract.

Sheep, Goats, Cows, Elk, Buffalo, Elephants are all animals with
complex, partitioned stomachs though different between groups.

 From Wikipedia

Cattle are ruminants, meaning that they have a digestive system that
allows them to utilize otherwise indigestible foods by repeatedly
regurgitating and rechewing them as "cud." The cud is then reswallowed
and further digested by specialized microorganisms that live in the
rumen. These microbes are primarily responsible for breaking down
cellulose and other carbohydrates into volatile fatty acids (VFAs)
that cattle use as their primary metabolic fuel. The microbes that
live inside of the rumen are also able to synthesize amino acids from
non-protein nitrogenous sources such as urea and ammonia. As these
microbes reproduce in the rumen older generations die and their
carcasses continue on through the digestive tract. Theses carcasses
are then partially digested by the cattle, allowing it to gain a high
quality protein source. These features allow cattle to thrive on
grasses and other vegetation.
-----
and

Enteric Fermentation
It is one of the factors in increased methane emissions. Ruminant
animals are those that have a rumen. A rumen is a special stomach
found in cows, sheep, and water buffalo that enables them to eat tough
plants and grains that monogastric animals, such as humans, dogs, and
cats, cannot digest.
Enteric fermentation occurs when methane (CH4) is produced in the
rumen as microbial fermentation takes place. Over 200 species of
microorganisms are present in the rumen, although only about 10% of
these play an important role in digestion. Most of the CH4 byproduct
is belched by the animal, however, a small percentage of CH4 is also
produced in the large intestine and passed out as gas.
In Australia ruminant animals account for over half of their green
house gas contribution from methane.[1] Australia has implemented a
voluntary immunization program for cattle in order to help reduce
flatulence-produced CH4

Hence the abundance of methane in their gut is derived from microbial
digestion of grasses and other cellulose rich vegetation. When I was
teaching we would collect both termites and slaughterhouse cattle
stomach contents in order to study this wonderous community of
protozoans who indirectly give us food.

Come to think I have not eaten many termites lately, but Yogurt - Yes.