[Terrapreta] two recent articles on TP

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Fri Feb 29 22:57:49 CST 2008

Dear Sean

Sean K. Barry wrote:
> Hi Kevin, Michael,
>
> Kevin, I think you are right on point ... and it is an important
> point.  Any recycling of carbon which had its original source in the
> Biosphere is not the problem that needs to be addressed, as regards
> its influence on the atmosphere.  *Fossil carbon *is the only problem
> carbon.  You are correct too, I think, in your assessment that it is
> misdirected effort to try and solve the increases in atmospheric
> carbon by attempts dealing with reductions in any of these natural
> fluxes that recycle carbon.

Sadly, I see all too many Environmental Protest activities that are
fundamentally just pointless protests. There is a limited "people
resource", and it is a shame to waste it on a protest, rather than
focusing the effort on activities where the effort will be well spent
and where something can be accomplished. Rotating boycotts of gasoline
Companies consumes resources and time, and accomplishes very little.

> That said, converting biomass carbon into sequestered carbon (via
> charcoal-in-soil) could be an excellent solution that will reduce
> atmospheric carbon levels by offsetting fossil carbon emissions.  One
> other point, counter to this position that cow farts do not matter is
> the distinction between CO2 and CH4, as emitted green house gases.  As
> you may know CH4 is a far more potent greenhouse gas than CO2, so
> biosphere carbon which is recycled as CH4 is worse for that atmosphere
> than CO2 emissions would be.  I don't know if kangaroo gutt bacteria
> would reduce the concentrations of CH4 in cow burps or farts or
> whether the cows could continue to digest if their guts could not
> produce Methane-CH4?  But, it would maybe help reduce radiative
> forcing by GHG (aka Global Warming), if cows guts did not produce as
> much Methane out of either end of the cow.

This is a brilliant concept... the Research Work is being continued,
with the idea of introducing "the right bugs" into cows. Not only would
tehy reduce methane generation, but they would lead to more efficient
cows.... instead of a portion of the cow's nutrition being wasted as
methane, "the right bugs" would enable the cow to utilize its feed more
efficiently.

Certainly, methane is a more powerful GHG than CO2... by a factor of
about 20 or so. If we didn't have cows to eat grass, or termites to eat
wood, they would accumulate, and chances are that a significant portion
of tehm would end up as methane from other natural degradation processes.

Best wishes,

Kevin