[Terrapreta] Carbon emissions show sharp rise

dyarrow at nycap.rr.com dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Tue Jan 1 03:31:55 CST 2008

thanks, frank, for highlighting the illogic of treating the pinnacle
of biodiversity, and one of earth's primary carbon fixing pathways --
forests -- as little more than fuelwood for charcoal.  not that we
need worry.  seems nature is rapidly finishing what man's folly has
begun.  catastrophic increases in forest fires may emit as much carbon
as our new coal-burning power plants.

sunday night, CBS 60 minutes -- for a second time -- aired a story on
the extra-ordinary outburst of extreme forest fires in recent years:
The Age Of Mega-Fires
Expert: Warming Climate Fueling Mega-Fires
www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/18/60minutes/main3380176.shtml

"This past fall, wildfires ripped through Southern California, burning
more than 500,000 acres of trees, destroying over 2,000 homes, and
claiming nine lives. Scientists now say we should brace ourselves for
more and more of these fires in the coming years, because there's been
an enormous change in Western fires. In truth, we've never seen
anything like them in recorded history.  It appears we're living in a
new age of mega-fires -- forest infernos ten times bigger than the
fires we're used to seeing."

10 years ago, a 100,000 acre fire was unusual; now it's ordinary for
two 100,000 acre burns simultaneously.  recent fire seasons have seen
several fires scorching 500,000 acres.  last year, one burned
600,000.  the federal expenditure for fire control has jumped 7-fold
in 20 years, and shows every indication of increasing further.  at the
moment, fire danger in southern california is high, although the
southeast states are getting rain to relieve what almost became a
record setting historic drought.

not only has the scale of these fires greatly increased, so has the
intensity.  brush fires are no longer ordinary.  now these are crown
fires, rushing upwards as 100 to 350 foot columns of flame, consuming
entire trees.  this is killing entire forests, leaving behind a
treeless terrain that will take decades -- perhaps over a century to
recover.  says one forest expert: "in the Southwest alone, nearly two
million acres of forest are gone and won't come back for centuries."

this isn't happening only in america.  other areas of the globe are
experiencing unprecedented drought, dry spells and forest fires.  this
is releasing huge amounts of carbon into the air.  but worse still,
this is degrading one of the planet's primary means to fix carbon from
the air and store it as carbohydrate in living biomass.  the earth's
capacity to remove carbon from the air is going up in smoke.

if this keeps up, in another decade or two, we may consider any forest
too precious to be cut for any reason.

to end the 60 minutes piece: ""You know, there are a lot of people who
don't believe in climate change," Pelley remarks.

"You won't find them on the fire line in the American West anymore,"
Tom Boatner says. "Cause we've had climate change beat into us over
the last ten or fifteen years. We know what we’re seeing, and we're
dealing with a period of climate, in terms of temperature and humidity
and drought, that's different than anything people have seen in our
lifetimes."

for a green and peaceful planet,
david yarrow