[Terrapreta] Using Biochar to Reduce N and P Use or Runoff

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Tue Jan 1 12:20:25 CST 2008

Anne Casselman writing in Scientific American last May, suggested that, "the
use of char also promises to combat marine dead zones, like that in the Gulf
of Mexico caused by nitrogen- and phosphorus-rich agricultural runoff. Char
reduces the need for man-made fertilizers by helping the soil retain
nutrients."

It has been suggested in other sources that charcoal as TP could reduce the
use of N and P. As far as I know we haven't quantified how much fertilizer
could be reduced in field crops like corn and soybeans that contribute
runoff to the Gulf of Mexico. And the problem persists. See: Sarah Williams,
Dead Serious, Experts worry about lack of progress in efforts to reduce
lifeless zone in the Gulf of Mexico
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20071222/bob10.asp

Week of Dec. 22, 2007; Vol. 172, No. 25/26 , p. 395

According to Lehmann "Nutrients such as phosphorus and potassium readily
adhere to charcoal, and the combination creates a good habitat for
microorganisms." So it should be possible to use TP in various ways to
reduce runoff. What techniques have been tried?

Is anyone currently working on using TP for either a) fertilizer reduction
for corn and soybeans or b) reducing nutrient runoff? Again, the
environmental value of TP may be far greater than the short term monetary
value. That could lead to monetary strategies to promote TP.

Let's focus this discussion on technology, testing and results and not on
politics.

Thanks

Tom Miles

Reference links:

May 15, 2007 Special Report: Inspired by Ancient Amazonians, a Plan to
Convert Trash into Environmental Treasure

New bill in U.S. Senate will advocate adoption of "agrichar" method that
could lessen our dependence on fossil fuel and help avert global warming by
Anne Casselman

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=pyrolyisis-terra-preta-could-eliminate-g
arbage-generate-oil-carbon-sequestration

Rebecca Reiner,  Rethinking biochar Environmental Science and Technology,
Technology News - August 1, 2007

http://pubs.acs.org/subscribe/journals/esthag-w/2007/aug/tech/rr_biochar.htm