[Terrapreta] Using Biochar to Reduce N and P Use or Runoff

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Wed Jan 2 10:04:16 CST 2008

Some thoughts on this topic - So far two methods of N and P runoff
have been mentioned.

1. Introduction of N and P sequestered in biochar and thereby
controlled release
2. Control somehow in the soil by charcoal of N and P movement by
cation exchange and via micobial habitat sequestering as biomass.
3 A third is reduction of fertilizer needed by way of enhancement of
chemautotrophic organisms  for nitrogen fixation and mycorrhizial
organism enhancement to convert insoluble phosphorus into a plant
available form with direct transfer into crop root zone.

Pyrolysis of chicken litter is an excellent method to prepare the very
fertile material for application. I wonder what chemical form the
phosphorus is in after complete or partial charring. Possibly some
reduced and reactive version.

In our farm soil phosphorus is a limiting factor as well as nitrogen.
I'm not a corn farmer but improving our use of fertilizer especially
nitrogen input ensures that nitrogen at the end of season is
sequestered by crop and as biomass in soil. In our plot study our end
of season analysis for nitrate is close to or at zero for every plot.

Lastly the fate of nitrogen and phosphorus added to soil in
traditional agriculture is either removed in finished product to be
converted to waste elsewhere (animal and human waste), leaching from
soil as soluble form and trapped as biomass with enhanced production
and ecosystem dynamics. All three however ultimately result in
elevated effluent levels.

Best