[Terrapreta] Discussion of carbon offsets

Duane Pendergast still.thinking at computare.org
Mon Jan 7 10:12:52 CST 2008

Dear Colleagues, This article provides an interesting discussion of
so-called carbon "off-sets". For those who are focusing on the cause of
terra preta as a soil enhancer, I suggest you ignore this article as it
focuses on greenhouse gas management policy.

http://www.nationalpost.com/story.html?id=216074

It is good to see some second thoughts on these "offset" schemes. Most
simply reduce the rate of emissions as emission producing projects spawn
additional zero emission projects. To me, that is not an offset. If you
would like to explore the possibility of establishing credits for true
offsets such as those which might be attributed to char or charcoal added to
soil you might be interested.

Duane Pendergast

P.S. - I posted this before using the National Post's email feature. The
list passed it on to me in a readable format, but I noticed the archive copy
was garbled and the link removed. I apologize for the possible double
posting but I do think the article provides important insights to the merits
of various "offset" schemes. I hope this second posting provides a
descriptive title and a hyperlink to the article.