[Terrapreta] Carbon emissions show sharp rise

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Mon Jan 7 15:51:55 CST 2008

Jim, Sean and all-------For your consideration...If we are looking at
a forest as an organic reservoir for charcoal from a corporate  point
of view then making charcoal becomes a very simple decision-making
process. The externalities are not considered because they remove
dollars from the profits. Energy uses prevail over charcoal's use to
grow plants.

 From the profit viewpoint, sense is only made by overlooking the
externalities of:
-the production of O2,
-the production of clean drinking water,
-the degradation of water resources by land erosion,
-the spread of forest pathogens by vehicular traffic or mono-cultural
practices,
-the loss of board footage of existing immature trees cut in clear-
cut harvests or
-the loss or dislocation of beneficial biota.

Even if the greenhouse gases (warming conditions) and atmospheric
particulate pollution (cooling and drought conditions) were caused by
overlooking (knowingly or unknowingly) the externalities in order to
accumulate wealth, we are dealing with the dominate influence of
ecology. Serious climate changes are on us. We need economics to pull
greenhouse gases out of the atmospheric but let's accept that
economics do not rule ecology. It is time to get over the belief that
ever increasing economic growth is possible.

Failing to change our values to appreciate, accept, or work with the
Earth's biology may... this has not been excluded by scientists...
cause a run-away carbon release that looks like what happened to
Venus. Let us rely on the Precautionary Principle   as a standard to
operate by. Death for children and their families does not stand as a
value to achieve because of ignorance or profit nor is birth beyond a
"carrying capacity". Climate change has made us one world, one
humanity with diverse cultures. How will the current economic models
carry us into the future? Apparently, very poorly.

There are several examples of forest management that follow the
Precautionary Principle. The largest company in the U.S. following
this model is the Collin Pines Lumber Company in northern California
which operates 295,000 acres of forest producing high-quality lumber
while maintaining forest ecosystems. There are several other
companies that operate under sustainable forestry practices in the
Pacific Northwest and British Columbia. The family owned businesses
are not subject to corporate leverage buyouts. This means that they
can leave a valued commodity to mature to it's potential before
harvesting.

The harvest of wood from a Pacific Northwest  forest can also be
achieved if we consider how to manage vegetation to capture light
(photons). Photons drive photosynthesis and we are looking for the
wood that photosynthesis produces. Individual Tree Harvests allow for
maximum closure of the forest canopy.

Individual Tree Harvest practices recommend that less than 8% of the
canopy be removed every 10 years in mixed species stands. Selected
trees can be harvested provided that the canopy opening, resulting
from a harvest, is closed within a few years by adjacent vegetation.
Trees selected for harvest are chosen based on their canopy dominance
or subordinance. As the stand matures the subordinate trees go into a
state of decline which is a loss of value, With the used of smaller
logging equipment on a 10 foot wide road system, a closed canopy is
possible. Trained road builders can maneuver equipment away from the
root system with the least soil disturbance. A smaller road system
allows for less construction expenses and more frequent harvesting.
In this region, Western Red Alder trees make an excellent addition to
a stand because of their ability to fix nitrogen.

With a nearly closed canopy, we can harvest for lumber and for
charcoal while maintaining a growing carbon reserve. There is no
reason to deplete the carbon resources with this harvesting technique.

I mention these sustainable family owned forest businesses, some of
which practice Individual Tree Harvest techniques, to suggest that
our goal (or is it my goal) is to use charcoal as a added value to
forest harvests and use the Terra Preta process to protect the living
sphere of the Earth, it's human ridership and foster business. I have
been led to believe that we have one last chance to recover from
cultural suicide. Keep your eye on the Arctic ice pack-------Larry