[Terrapreta] Fwd: Early Terra Preta Production... and a Western Red Alder fantasy

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 8 18:04:34 CST 2008

Hi Larry

This will take a bit of trial and error to shake out properly but I can make a couple of comments.  The roots can be overlapped a couple of times to get a thicker wall and better internal packing.  This has to be played with in the field until we get it right.  The main task is to create a thick enough wall of mud that is still porous enough to permit incoming slow airflow.  This will vary with the soil type.  The top of the stack can be well mudded of course.

It is a combination of slow incoming air and  exiting combustion gases reducing the stover that makes this work.  I suspect that slower works best as long as it is not so slow as to allow too much heat loss.  It would have to be tended by a chap with a shovel to throw dirt who develops the necessary experience.  Recall that a properly managed industrial system takes a good 12 hours to do its job, and then you have to wait for it to cool off.

I am skeptical about even alder since the root ball is not compact, or at least I do not think so. i never tried to pull one or if i did I was singularly unsuccessful.  Corn on the other hand is a sweetheart to pull.  The disc is perhaps nine inches across and the stalk with leaves is a good inch or so.  It could not be designed better for a planned packing procedure.  The only question is what packing plan will work best.  For that we need to go do it.

Unfortunately i no longer have a corn field at my finger tips, so I need access to like minded folks to do field tests.

The main thing about corn is that we can tight pack the stalks themselves, preventing uneven burning and hotspots that would destroy a lot of product.

I am pleased that you are experimenting.  There are plenty of problems with wood charcoal, but after all that work is done to make this very special product we have to actually crush it.  This means the use of grinding stones to reduce tons of char each and every year to a usable powder.  My sense is that this is way too hard and that it never happened that way.  Corn and other soft plant residues completely eliminates this problem.  And there is enough corn stover per acre to prove the value of the method the very next season.

A group of harvesters made it work the first time and it was then quickly adopted.  I suspect that we will discover that this method was far more widespread that realized but used only occasionally in drier climates.  It will take soil analysis to find that out but to date no one has really looked, or has misidentified any powdered charcoal seen.

A microscopic test procedure that we could trust would test that hypothesis.

bob