[Terrapreta] Early Terra Preta Production

dyarrow at nycap.rr.com dyarrow at nycap.rr.com
Tue Jan 8 21:25:29 CST 2008

thanks, robert, for keeping this important discussion alive.  the
relax assumption is charcoal = wood.  but we need a broader
perspective of likely feedstocks for char production.

35 years ago, living in new mexico, i learned the navajo method to
make pottery by firing the ots in a pit filled with dried cow pies --
areadily available and abundant resource in that arid climate.  worked
wonderful.  it was common knowledge how to close up the pit, and
create a reducing fire that yielded beautiful black pottery.  of
course, before the spaniards appeared 500 years go, there were no cows
in the southwest.

cornstalks make excellent feedstock to make biochar -- or just for
cooking in the kitchen.  especially tropical strains of corn, which
often grow 12 to 15 feet tall.  i grew some guatamalan corn in my
backyard garden in upstate NY a few years ago in a classic three
sisters garden, and was startled how high the stalks grew.
unfortunately, before they tassled, the frost killed them.

however, my own conclusion is indigenous amazonians used more than
crop residues.  fertile soil in a tropical climate erupts with an
abundant diversity of green growth.  maintaining cropland means steady
efforts to remove weeds, bushes and saplings sprouting from the soil.
i doubt the indigenous growers -- mostly the women -- practiced the
kind of clean cultivation of modern farmers, where the soil is swept
bare except for the designated crop.  indigenous weed removal would
have been more selective and thoughtful.

i would guess that the average amazon field produced far more weed
biomass each year than crop residue.  and most of this would have been
non-woody weeds that will crumble easily into dust once converted to
char in a pottery kiln.  how can forensic soil analysis identify this
non-woody biochar after 300+ years of residence in the soil?

david yarrow