[Terrapreta] FW: Charcoal in soil

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Jan 11 02:16:58 CST 2008

Hi Nikolaus,

Do you think ash content plays into converting carbon-in-soil + microorganisms, into fulvic and humic acids in soils?  How does get microbes to grow in soil?  Is charcoal carbon-in-soil (charSoil) just a structural, hydrology component in the soil environment?  Or, for microbes does it get involved with the chemistry of what the microbes are doing in the soil?  The pH of ash is alkaline, for sure, as well as unwashed char.  Washed char might be pH neutral?  Then hydrolyzed (washed?) charSoil, with mineral rich ash, mixed in, what happens?  Does that perhaps provide the chemical background in the soil for microorganisms to "create" their own "humic and fulvic acid environments", from the combination of mineral and carbon in the soil?

Or, does the biota create the humic and fulvic acids to deal with the alkaline pH in the mineral content in the soil?  I think I remember from organic chemistry that living system like to be able to buffer pH, neutralizing both strong acids up and weak bases? down to pH neutral.  Hence there things like bicarbonates in living tissues and mucus membranes that resist strong acids.

I need to read about humic and fulvic acids and what they are doing in soils, where they came from, and what they might be
useful for.  Maybe humic and fulvic acids could be the preferred inoculents for amending into soil, along with charcoal?  The acids innoculants could make it easier for the biota to use the minerals otherwise alkaline soil mix? ... Because it enhances the cation exchange capacity?  Maybe acids improve an "ash & soil" or "charcoal & soil"  mixture to allow more minerals to be deposited on the site ?

Somehow it seems creating humic and fulvic acids takes a long time, even if and for microbes.  I think we might pay close attention to the microbial interactions in the soil with their chemical "fertility" management.  Maybe you could find a way to put some humic acid on some of the soil in one of those "burn zones".  Then test if it doesn't help the soil to grow plants?  See if doesn't add to the "soil + char + microbes + organic acid mixture, and give soil the extra thing it needed to fix its "organic chemical balances" and sustain it's "growth promoting" effects.

Could these be coming, originally from the mass injection of "biome-related" minerals on the local site?  The mineral ash from the fire was, after all, only harvested from once living biomass, with living biomass chemistries.  The carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen are as ubiquitous as water and living matter.

What are microbes doing with carbon-in-soil that works for them to promote plant growth ??!

How can you pile on a dense lay of plant necessary minerals into a soil and not poison it, without putting carbon into that same soil?

Good night.