[Terrapreta] Max Planck Institute: Making Coal

Brian Hans bhans at earthmimic.com
Tue Jan 15 14:20:11 CST 2008

EarthMimic has been doing HTC for over a year.

  For now, we stopped doing HTC to TP research because the expense of the equipment vs existing marketplace. There are also alot of VOC's and oils within the char material which we found made for bad root growth conditions.

  There is a very big diff between pyrolysis (burns off the oils and lignin's) and reducing biomass with steam and pressure. And 20bar's of pressure is nothing to sneeze at, so be careful.

  Brian Hans