[Terrapreta] Is Biochar used in Cuba?

jim mason jimmason at whatiamupto.com
Mon Jan 21 16:25:32 CST 2008

wikipedia has a short entry on zeolites in agriculture, with a mention of cuba.

is the micro pore structure of zeolites and other volcanic rock
derived soils, the reason volcanic soils are often so productive?  is
this the same microbial assist through better "housing" opportunities
as in biochar?

jim

Agriculture

In agriculture, clinoptilolite (a naturally occurring zeolite) is used
as a soil treatment. It provides a source of slowly released
potassium. If previously loaded with ammonium, the zeolite can serve a
similar function in the slow release of nitrogen. Cuban studies in the
emerging field of "zeoponics" suggest that some crops may be grown in
100% zeolite or zeolite mixtures in which the zeolite is previously
loaded or coated with fertilizer and micronutrients. Zeolites can also
act as water moderators, in which they will absorb up to 55% of their
weight in water and slowly release it under plant demand. This
property can prevent root rot and moderate drought cycles.

A potting soil with 12% clinoptilolite was shown to harvest morning
dew and return it to the plant roots for reuse. The same bed was able
to grow a Jerico strain of leaf lettuce in a sub tropical climate
without external water and daytime temperatures exceeding 85 °F. This
produce did not bolt and went full term before setting seeds. It also
has been shown that certain zeolites can reduce nitrates and nitrites
to more plant usable free nitrogen by ion exchange.[citation needed]

[edit]