[Terrapreta] diatoms and CO2

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Thu Jan 24 14:11:39 CST 2008

FYI:  Beware of a scam to profit from selling carbon credits via iron
fertilization of the oceans to promote the growth of diatoms:

Diatoms have previously been studied for their ability to soak up
carbon dioxide. The cells account for more than 20 per cent of the
carbon dioxide that is removed from the atmosphere each year, an
amount comparable to that removed by all the planet's rainforests,
the researchers said.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008/01/21/algae-computers.html

  “Seeding the blue oceans with natural iron dust is a dirt-cheap way
to revive the plankton, remove megatons of CO2 from the atmosphere,
reduce global warming, and lower marine acidity.”
Why do we have to add iron to the sea? Because research shows that
the oceans have an iron deficiency. Dissolved iron is a necessary
micronutrient for plankton; iron plays a vital role in
photosynthesis. But iron levels in the seas are perilously low: iron
content in ocean water is a mere 3 parts per trillion."

"Diatom’s scientists have devised a simple scheme: dump “iron dust” …
iron-rich dirt found in abundance near deposits of iron ore … into
the ocean to create large blooms of plankton..."

"When operated on a large scale, the Diatom process can “sequester”
millions of tonnes of CO2 at about 30 cents per tonne. The current
market value of a carbon credit is about U.S. $30 per tonne for
carbon credits allowing Diatom to mark-up its “product” – the carbon
credits it sells – one hundred fold. That’s a profit margin of 99%."

http://www.bly.com/newsite/Pages/diatom_mailer.pdf

Thus far, iron enrichment experiments have been small and mainly
intended to determine the role of iron as a limiting nutrient for
phytoplankton growth in HNLC water. Studies of carbon export have
been limited, it is difficult to verify sequestration, and we do not
yet fully understand the fate of biogenic carbon induced from iron
enrichment.36 Experimental sediment traps deployed during SOFeX
showed that after nutrient resources were depleted only a small
fraction of iron-induced organic carbon reached the bottom. Other
pathways may be available to the carbon, particularly
remineralization via bacteria and mesozooplankton grazing. 37
furthermore, just as experiments with sea water in a small bottle may
not accurately reflect the same processes that occur naturally in an
ocean, small scale experiments in selected regions may not reflect
large scale trends that play a role in phenomena such as global warming.

http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/oceangard/overview.php

"The Cells That Rule the Seas" by biological oceanographer Sallie W.
Chisholm,

  Scientific American, September 28, 2006

  ...she is equally convinced that large-scale fertilization would be
a mistake. "How can we manipulate this system when we don't know
what's in it?" she asks. "The oceans are performing all kinds of
functions we don't understand." If the approach works at all-- still
an open question-- it will inevitably alter the food web, promoting
the growth of larger cells such as diatoms at the expense of smaller
ones such as Prochlorococcus, with unknown effects rippling through
the trophic levels.
  By no means an activist, Chisholm rarely joins causes or signs
petitions, but on this issue she feels obliged to speak out. "I
didn't spend my life studying how aquatic ecosystems work only to
have this fundamental knowledge ignored," she says.

Most ocean scientists agree with Chisholm about iron fertilization.
Nevertheless, she observes, "this idea just won't go away." Every
year she hears of a different patent filed, a new commercial venture
or some other fertilization scheme. Part of the problem is the profit
motive, but Chisholm also holds scientists responsible. Although it
is essential to clarify iron's role as a limiting nutrient, she says,
this research is commonly justified by tying it to ocean
fertilization. "Somehow we must evolve to the point where people
accept the importance of studying how the biosphere works-- what
regulates the flow of energy and cycling of elements-- in its own
right."

http://www.oceanconserve.org/shared/reader/welcome.aspx?
linkid=61285&keybold=%20carbon%20ocean%20iron%20fertilization

Gerrit