[Terrapreta] Life cycle of forest fire char?

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Tue Jan 29 20:06:26 CST 2008

There was no charcoal here in this forest fire aftermath. Just ash and
heat degraded soil. Blackened bark on the dead trees was very thin. I
wnet there to collect charcoal and could find none.

This paper and a few others in the list bibliography by  TH Deluca et
al may be of interest about wildfire produced charcoal and nitrogen
cycling in ponderosa pine forests.

Rich