[Terrapreta] Toxicity

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Jul 8 15:07:30 CDT 2008

Dear Justin

I am not an Organic Chemist, and I hope that someone competent in the field will clarify the matter further.

However, as a brief introduction to "dioxins", see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxin

Note that "dioxin" has many meanings. Fundamentally, it is  C4H4O2.   However, this basic structure can be chlorinated to yield polychlorinated dibenzodioxins, which are tetra  teratogens, mutagens, and carcinogens. It is therefore VERY important in your research to determine if the reports are for "simple dioxins" or their chlorinated cousins.

I am guessing that C4H4O2 could be common in bio-oils. However, this is NOT the same as the chlorinated dioxins that are so dangerous.

Clearly, if there is no chlorine or chlorides in the system, then chlorinated dioxins cannot be present.

Best wishes,

Kevin