[Terrapreta] 20 million artificial trees to scrub CO2

Laurens Rademakers lrademakers at biopact.com
Sun Jun 1 22:55:08 CDT 2008

Oh, but I don't think he's a crackpot at all, on the contrary. He's just taking prof Lackner's idea and reviving it.

I do think the artificial trees are not our most interesting bet, compared with terra preta.

-TP offers: renewable energy, food, ecosystem services and carbon sequestration; all this possibly even while turning a profit instead of costing us
-Artificial trees offer: only carbon sequestration and in the most difficult way possible (geosequestration); all this at a huge cost

It's just that I'm growing impatient; many costly or risky geoengineering ideas are getting a lot of media attention, while biochar/TP is not (yet). Of course one could argue that we need more research on biochar and that the technology is not as spectacular as synthetic trees, but still, I'm getting impatient!

If governments decide to back the artificial tree idea, the technology might begin to receive subsidies that could have gone to TP research and projects!

We need to do more lobbying.