[Terrapreta] vascular elements

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 00:59:03 CDT 2008

If the temperature is high enough, we get a porous end product with all other constituents reduced or eliminated.  Biochar is done at a temperature that likely yields only a fraction of the potential inert high temperature form of carbon.  In other words the product is a blend that is likely better accepted by the soil.

At very high temperatures coal becomes coke which is also incredibly porous and as tough as steel.  I think powdered coke would be very good in soils, but I suspect that it is almost unmakable.

That is why biochar must be produced from plant waste since it is naturally prepowdered.  Wood is not.  I suspect that the best results can pass  a very fine screen, wheras very little wood charcoal can do so.

arclein