[Terrapreta] Black soil

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Tue Jun 3 12:08:00 CDT 2008

Not all black soil soil is Terra Preta

On a recent trip to NW Iowa for my wife's class reunion we visited
this virgin prairie to look at wildflowers. A mole had pushed up the
native soil showing this beautiful organic rich loam. Imagine settling
in this place 150 years ago in tall grass prairie and tacking the job
of draining this wet land for the plow. Today these lands still show
soils with this dark color, the rains come in moderation when needed
and soil  nutrition stays in place. At road cuts this black soil
profile shown no bottom.

There are not many places in the world with this kind of soil/ climate
combination. Russia, where else?

This image, this image and this image show farming in the grain belt
of Iowa a mere 50 to 70 years ago. How this has changed has been a
consolidation of farms, depopulation of the small towns and their
decentralized business infrastructure is gone. I have a feeling the
cycle of resource depletion will take us back to this style of life
eventually.

I had opportunity to talk with some farmer / ex classmates of Karen's
and they told me the boon in corn prices have farmers abandoning the
corn/soybean rotation and using more fertilizer for equal production.

Interviewing further I was told at least 4 agrobuiz farmers in the NW
corner of Iowa were operating large corn / soybean farms in Brazil.
Moving this technology of agriculture for economic benefit may be
sustainable with continued heavy fertilization in the corn belt but is
it  a disaster about to unfold in the tropics where climate leaches
the soil and organic matter is transient.

Is terra preta nova a solution for agrobuiz intensive of agriculture
in either place?

Rich