[Terrapreta] Black soil

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Jun 3 20:58:54 CDT 2008

Dear Richard

Richard Haard wrote:
> Kevin - i know you have been puzzling on this.

Yes indeed! Given that we have a Terra Preta Soil, did it originate from
basically a "natural black earth" to which was added nutrients
associated with human habitation (fish bones, food scraps, nightsoil,
etc), or was the addition of charcoal essential to the formation of a
Terra Preta Soil?

> Here is a very nice, basic piece from NRCS on soil color. It
> specifically deals with soil colors of the prairie states, Iowa and
> Kansas
>
> http://soils.usda.gov/education/resources/k_12/lessons/color/
>
> It seems there are a number of factors that effect soil color. First
> the mineral composition can cause black soil colors. These are Iron
> sulphides FeS, pyrite (FeS2), and manganese oxide. In addition, humus
> gives soil the same munsell color as above (black). It is interesting
> there is no mention of black carbon as a reason for soil color

If the soil pigmentation was primarily from Iron Sulphides and
Manganese, the soil itself would probably be toxic to growth. Natural
"black Earths", such as the Holland Marsh outside Toronto are probably
organic matter per se, with their black color being due to organic matter.

Then we get close to teh question... is there "free carbon" in such
natural black earths? If so, is it beneficial to growth?

> So far as the role of organic matter, not only is the organic matter
> responsible for the color of some soils it is also the interaction of
> the soluble organic pigments that move down in the soil with minerals.
> Also interesting is Kansas (prairie) vs Wisconsin (forested) in the
> latter example water soluble carbon leaves the surface and white
> quartz remaining. We find all examples in Washington from the dark
> soils of the Olympic rain shadow to the silica sand on the surface at
> Snoqualamie Pass in the subalpine zone barely 70 miles away.
>
> Ain't nature great?

Mother Nature is fabulous!!

> Your point # 2
>
>> 2: Fully degraded organic matter that is basically only Carbon.
>
> Fully degraded organic matter is CO2 not C . Lets do some reading on
> this but my thought is that the endpoint of organic matter
> decomposition in soil are these humic acids that are very complex,
> resistant molecules that serve use in soil just like clay colloids.
> Eventually they do decay through metabolic action of microbes and
> oxidation.

OK... by "fully degraded carbon," I had in mind natural organic
materials that were stripped of their Oxygen and Hydrogen components,
leaving "free carbon." Given that charcoal, also "free carbon" can last
throusands of years in the soil, it would be reasonable to assume that
"free carbon" released from decomposition of organic material would also
be long lived.

> If carbon were the end product on this then in the desert where
> virtually all detritus is consumed by oxidation then where are the
> dark soils in these places? Hmm

OK... it may be as simple as the decomposition process that liberates
"free carbon" must have anaerobic conditions. The bottom of a pond can
be very anaerobic.
> There is some searching that can be done on this and what analytical
> methods they use to isolate charcoal from organic matter.  I think Ron
> Deluca's papers may have something.

Would you have a URL for Ron's papers?

> I think I mentioned to the list at some point, the farm where i work
> was cleared from second growth forest about 1947 and the original
> farmer, George Giardi, who was born here in 1901 used a boxcar of
> dynamite to clear the stumps. Last winter walking around a section we
> leveled with a bull dozer and looking at the ground with slight sheet
> erosion and there were tiny pieces of charcoal everywhere that I was
> picking up. I suspect most soils are like this.

Very interesting! Can you see any local differences where the charcoal
is, and where it isn't similar to the stripes Nikolaus sees in his fields?

Best wishes,

Kevin