[Terrapreta] expansion

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 4 10:56:12 CDT 2008

Interspaced in Blue.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mark Ludlow
  To: 'Greg and April' ; 'Sean K. Barry'
  Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 22:29
  Subject: RE: [Terrapreta] expansion

  I can't argue much about isotope ratios and I suspect you can't either. I'll let competitive scientists worry about this at conferences where there is a tradition of one-upsmanship.

  < shrug >

  What I can say about isotope ratios is that they are fairly accurate, and most of the science around measuring historical climate and climate change ( including the amount of CO2 in the air ) is based on them, so if the isotope measurements are wrong so is the science.

  CO2 is constantly transferred between marine and terrestrial carbon cascades. Wait for a few degrees rise in arctic temperatures-enough to cause a thaw of the methane-laden permafrost and wake-up the methanogenic  microbes sleeping there.

  Maybe, maybe not.    I personaly have this feeling that the waters will go acidic fairly quick and that microorganism activity will grind to a halt, in which case we will actualy be looking at the formation of peat fields, and a natural carbon sink.

  You may be surprised to see how quickly methane could be transferred to the atmosphere. Don't light a match! Later, much later, the carbon will appear as marine snow in the depths of the oceans and possibly later, as part of the THC reappear at the surface at upwellings to feed the first links of the marine food chain.

  What are you talking about when you say "layer of lime"? If it's calcium carbonate, it's constantly recycled if not laid down as sedimentary formations of limestone or, less frequently calcium hydroxide, (which of course has no carbon).

  True.    I also admit another possibility that came to me while lying in bed last night.    We do believe that there was quite a bit of hydrogen sulfide at this time, it's quite possable that it mixed with the calicum forming gypsom.    Hydrogen sulfide would kill, many organisms ( including plants ) and make the water acidic.

  How about reporting on how your test plots with char are doing in comparison to those without?

  Being hit with a stage 1 burn ban this spring, I only managed to make enough char for a 1/2 plot, before planting, so I'm retaining that char for next yr.

  Greg H.