[Terrapreta] History on the climate aspects of the terrapreta list

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Jun 5 10:29:57 CDT 2008

> Would you know of anywhere in the World North or south of the 20 Degree
> of Latitude where char has recently been added to agricultural soils in
> a commercially successful manner?

I know of two commercial producers of biochar products who have found viable
niche markets in the present economy. They make products from a wide variety
of materials. The way they serve their markets and the techniques and "know
how" (intellectual property) they use are theirs but have all have been
discussed on this list or on the related websites. I see these initial
producers as just the beginning.

> Would not the cause of Terra Preta Advancement be better served if we
> directed our efforts at understanding how it works and how to make it
> for different soil conditions and for different climates, rather than
> focusing on the GHG benefits from TP that can only be realized if we
> know how to make TP work economically??

I don't see anything productive from the broad discussions we have seen
recently. Policy discussions should be directed toward specific policies or
actions, such as legislation or development programs in specific countries,
that will benefit the further development and testing of biochar.

Tom