[Terrapreta] History on the climate aspects of the terrapreta list

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Thu Jun 5 18:00:21 CDT 2008

> Are these niche markets in agriculture? Would you know roughly the
> annual tonnage of biochar used in agriculture?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Kevin

Yes. And, no. In existing applications tonnages are small and values are
high. I have no idea how much biochar is commercially used in agriculture. I
suspect that it is still very small. I have heard (even today) from growers
that the very high cost of activated carbon is forcing them to look for
alternatives where uses permit.

We're not going to see large tonnages of biochar used until we have more
experience with chars, soils and crops. The more practical tests we see,
even with just anecdotal results, will lead to further use. We have seen
many one-off tests with negative results and fewer well documented
multi-year tests of the kind Richard has described.

Tom