[Terrapreta] Global Warming arguments

Peter Read peter at read.org.nz
Fri Jun 6 14:00:12 CDT 2008

Man has likely been influencing climate for 8000 years - read Bill Ruddiman's recent book  http://press.princeton.edu/titles/8014.html .
Basically, his thesis is that forest clearance for agriculture has released sufficient CO2 over the millennia to prevent earth's climate from reverting to the ice age that is now well overdue.

Personally I have never understood what the word "anthropogenic' is doing in the UN Climate Change Convention
If you see an avalanche coming you don't hang around to ask if it was triggered off by a thunder clap or a rifle shot.
If a large meteorite were approaching spaceship earth you would applaud NASA's efforts to nuke it off course.
If the climate system is stuffing up, let's not ask who's to blame, but use our wits to try to get it back on track,
Especially as Ruddiman tells us it has been done in the past, albeit unwittingly, by our much less knowledgable stone age ancestors.

Peter