[Terrapreta] char & vascular systems

Kurt Treutlein rukurt at westnet.com.au
Sun Jun 8 00:31:31 CDT 2008

Richard Haard wrote:
> I am not quite sure what you are getting at here Kurt?
>
> In the case of algae the only difference is the lack of vascular
> system. The algae are diverse and cellular in nature that range from
> filamentous to complex tissues in plants attaining as much as 100 feet
> length.
>
> Are you in agreement with mark that charcoal function is at the micro
> level and habitat opportunity has no role.
No, I'm not. I believe that the vascular nature of wood charcoal and
particularly of hardwood charcoal is very important to it's role in TP.
So, as far as TP is concerned the habitat opportunity is most important.
And along with the habitat opportunity goes the large surface area that
is inherent in wood charcoals vascular structure, which is important for
bacterial activity. Now, to a large extent other fibrous biomass would
have similar porosity, while amorphous biomass would likely have less.
Just how this integrates with the alleged good TP results from fecal
charcoal, I have no idea.

Kurt