[Terrapreta] biochar from stoker boiler

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Sun Jun 8 08:15:05 CDT 2008

Alex:

    Welcome to the terrapreta list.  Your first news item is very welcome.

    You must explain more on what you have been doing.   What is the
production rate?  What are you paying for switchgrass? Are you ready to sell
a product?  What biochar cost looks appropriate  (say in a 20-25 kilo bag)?
How fine is the chopping?  Is that a costly operation?  etc.

Other Terra Preta list members:

    1.  Alex is a very knowlegeable pyrolysis expert.  Go back 10 years on
the stoves list and you will see many excellent theoretical and experimental
discussions from Alex.  He knows a lot about the greenhouse business and
heating greenhouses cheaply.

    2.  I am pretty sure he has modified an existing boiler so that the
chain grate stoker is run faster and char comes off the end, rather than
ash.   With many such stokers around the world, Alex can perhaps help
"solve" the charcoal storage pretty quickly.  This assumes that other stoker
owners can learn about a market that will justify the stoker modifications
that I hope Alex will tell us about.

    3.  The beauty of this approach is that there has to be clean combustion
and there is a guaranteed use for the "waste" pyrolysis gases.   I see no
reason that many/every coal- fired power plants can't retrofit quickly - as
they already understand chaingrate stokers.

Ron