[Terrapreta] High carbon trees...

Biopact biopact at biopact.com
Mon Jun 9 15:26:58 CDT 2008

Just imagine we could develop trees that suck up far more CO2. These trees would contain more C that could be converted into more char.

Well guess what? They're are already here. A team of Taiwanese-U.S. scientists has developed an eucalyptus which absorbs up to three times (!) more CO2 than ordinary eucalypti, while a Japanese team has bred a hybrid larch capable of sucking up 30% more CO2. The improved capacity refers to standing biomass (so not in roots), which means it can be used for conversion into char.

The eucalyptus was genetically modified. I'm neutral on this. The larch was bred the old fashioned way.

I can imagine that this type of crops gives biochar a whole new dimension.

Here:

The monstrously modified CO2-chewing eucalyptus:
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/2007/09/14/122524/Gene-modified-eucalyptus.htm

The non-GM CO2-massacring hybrid larch:
http://www.japanfs.org/db/1848-e

Huray?