[Terrapreta] Char Manufacturing on an Industrial Scale

Gerry Kutney gkutney at all-woodfibre.com
Tue Jun 10 20:06:05 CDT 2008

Recently, there has been some recent discussions about the availability
of "char" and the requisite biomass to produce it.  I would like to
introduce the members of the TP forum to Alterna Energy (
www.alternaenergy.ca).  We are a "char" manufacturer but prefer the term
"biocarbon; " the term char implies a waste product, at least, to some.
However, we have no desire to enter the naming debate that some members
of the list have been involved in.  As a famous man once said, "a
(black) rose by any other name."

There have also been some reports of the char from the Dynamotive
process.  Their process produces pyrolysis oil, where char is a
by-product and is more of a disposal issue for them than a product line.
The char is also contaminated with the oil, which can make handling the
product difficult.

We are a biocarbon manufacturer, using a technology developed in South
Africa, now owned by Alterna Energy.  Our head office is in Prince
George, BC, Canada.  Alterna Energy has an industrial facility in South
Africa and a demonstration plant in McBride, BC.  Among the market
sectors for biocarbon, terra preta is of prime interest.

We are participating in full-scale TP field trials in Australia.  In our
opinion, we hope other members will get their governmental agricultural
agencies to carry out further field trials.  We are encouraging the same
in BC and Canada.  To take terra preta to the broader agricultural
community, we believe such actions are necessary.

If any members wish to discuss our operations and do not wish to burden
the other members of the TP forum, they may contact me through the
website above.

Gerry Kutney

Chief Operating Officer

250-649-2459