[Terrapreta] Anhydrous ammonia and propane cylinders SAFETY ALERT

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Thu Jun 12 01:34:29 CDT 2008

"Meth-labs" are not infrequent in the Pacific NW, I regret to say.

Since I use propane as a source of heat for making charcoal I thought
that others on this list may be using propane also. My tanks are
filled at a propane distribution point so these tanks are not
exchanged. Take care if you are exchanging propane tanks-------Larry

----------1-----------
A message from the Law Enforcement Network:

For those of you who like to grill it up during the summer, here's a
safety announcement you should be aware of.
Please put this information out to ALL. Even if you do not use and
exchange a propane tank, send this out for those that do. This is
something you definitely need to be aware of, especially in light of
the recent news of "Meth-labs" in our area:

"There was a meth training/workshop yesterday and there was a lot of
great new information presented.
Meth cooks are getting the propane tanks from the exchanges at Wal-
Mart, Kroger, etc. and emptying them of the propane. Then, they are
filling them with anhydrous ammonia (which they now have a recipe for
by the way). After they are finished with them, they return them to
the store. They are then refilled with propane and sent back for you
and me to buy. Anhydrous ammonia is very corrosive and weakens the
structure of the tank. It can be very dangerous when mixed with
propane and hooked up to our grills, etc.
According to our presenter, you should inspect the propane tank for
any blue or greenish residue around the valve areas. If it is
present, refuse to purchase that one."

Here's the SNOPES LINK for your review also. They have pictures.

http://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=529

----------2-----------

-----Snipped-----

@ http://www.click2houston.com/investigates/16478731/detail.html

Retailer Blue Rhino, which exchanges tanks all across the country,
posted the following statement on its Web site.

"Our staff of propane professionals is trained on how to identify a
propane tank that may have been used in methamphetamine production.
We encounter a very, very low amount of tanks used in meth production
-- just a handful out of millions each year. More than likely, anyone
engaged in an illegal activity like that will be reluctant to bring
their tanks to an exchange center."

One of the officers KPRC Local 2 spoke with said people who use the
tanks in meth labs generally steal the tanks they use off of RVs.