[Terrapreta] Is terra preta too complex for environmental organisations?

Laurens Rademakers lrademakers at biopact.com
Sat Jun 14 02:02:54 CDT 2008

Okay, let's get real. I just did a random check of some of the large "green" organisations that came to mind (from Greenpeace to the World Resources Institute), to see whether their libraries and search engines turned up anything dealing with biochar, agrichar or terra preta. Nothing. Did a search for "carbon-negative" or "negative emissions" and a host of other search terms. Rien du tout!

The news about terra preta should have reached these organisations by now. But they seem to stick to every type of renewable energy, as long as it doesn't have anything to do with biomass - so that includes biochar, even though biochar could yield carbon-negative energy, which other renewables can't.

What's going on? Is the concept too complex? Is it too new? Are these organisations afraid they can't explain this to their readership/members?

I'm growing so impatient... Terra preta must really begin to make an impact amongst environmental organisations, policy makers and green lobbies. But it isn't happening.

I suggest we draw up a list of green organisations and send them a leaflet in which we explain the concept and its potential in brief.

Anyone willing to put some time in this? I have some graphic design skills and could make a nice brochure. If someone wants to help with the writing, let me know...

Best, Lorenzo