[Terrapreta] Krasil'nikov, Soil & Health Agriculture Library

F. Marc de Piolenc piolenc at archivale.com
Mon Jun 16 20:50:23 CDT 2008

At 07:10 PM 6/16/2008 +0200, Laurens Rademakers wrote:
>Lorenzo here from the Terra Preta mailing list. Thank you for your
>contribution and welcome to the list.
>Your point about a lack of scientific research and too much advocacy
>on the list, is valid. But don't you think that in order to receive
>funding for research, you need to advocate the concept first and get
>it out there?

If you can show THAT it works, and say (at least approximately) HOW
it works, advocacy isn't needed. People tend to grab things that are
helpful to them. These days, everybody has the One True Cure-all That
Will Save the World from <fill in your favorite threat, actual or
contrived>, and a Web site complete with virtual fireworks displays
to promote it. When I read about yet another of these panaceas, I
skip ahead to find out the how and how much; if it's not there, I
close the window and move on. What convinced me that t.p. was worth
looking into was a quick look at Krasil'nikov, that clearly showed
the benefit of charcoal in furthering "good" and discouraging "bad"
soil organisms. That, and the evidence for huge pre-columbian
populations in areas that are now depopulated. The "indios" who built
and used t.p. - apparently for generations - were probably
illiterate; it shouldn't take the equivalent of the Manhattan Project
to find out how they did it! There is probably enough soils expertise
on this list, and certainly enough reference material available free
or cheaply, to get a solid grasp of t.p. hows and how-muches. And
once that is in hand, huge crops sprouting from "exhausted" or
"sterile" soils will do all the selling that is required.

>If we just keep doing our own, unscientific little experiments in
>our backyards, nobody will take TP seriously.  That's why I think
>advocacy and lobbying are quite important. They offer the key to
>receiving money for real research.

Just because an experiment is performed in your backyard doesn't mean
it has to be unscientific. All Mendel had was a small courtyard and
some pots, after all; all Einstein had was his mind and his math. If
you follow the scientific method, then you are doing science, and
there's no reason not to take you seriously. I've learned a lot of
useful information from a few cheap experiments in my front yard; not
t.p. yet - just determining the salt tolerance of mung beans and the
fertilizer value of canal sludge. The former showed that mung beans
can give an excellent crop in salt-contaminated soil (they almost
qualify as halophytes), the latter that people can fertilize their
land just by cleaning out their silted-up drainage canals and using
the spoil on their fields and orchards. Until I ran those tests it
was generally believed here that canal spoil would poison soils, even
though most of the sludge is...soil.

In any case, as I said before, the results will speak louder than any
chart or table, louder than any peer review. The film that I
downloaded on t.p. was eloquent - two plots side by side on cleared
forest soil - one t.p., the other not...WOW.

Regards,
Marc